Artificial intelligence is a direction that opens up new opportunities in the development of intelligent computer programs. They are able to learn and make decisions, have creative and intellectual functions, which are inherent in humans. In its broadest sense, AI refers to any work of programs or applications similar to human behavior.
Artificial intelligence demonstrates high rates of development, more and more companies are introducing AI into internal processes. However, the basic type of AI is actively used – narrow-purpose artificial intelligence. The remaining two – general purpose AI and superintelligence – have not yet found such a wide application in life and are very close to science fiction, but this does not prevent you from dreaming and making your dreams come true. In simple words, the 3 types of AI can be described as follows:
- A narrow artificial intelligence is implemented using complex algorithms and neural networks. This includes facial recognition, web search, and self-driving cars, which can already be seen on the roads of many countries.
- General artificial intelligence must successfully cope with any intellectual tasks. It can learn from experience, identify and even predict patterns. In addition, general AI can apply the acquired knowledge to solve various problems. The Summit supercomputer is a good example. It is capable of performing 200 quadrillion computational operations in 1 second. A person needs a billion years to do this. Nowadays, this incredible ability of computing power is so far provided only by supercomputers.
- Artificial superintelligence must have full self-awareness. In theory, it does not just imitate human behavior, it also thinks like a human, with the only difference, that apart from the human traits, AI has enhanced computing power that exceeds the human mind at times. Just a couple of years ago, artificial intelligence of any type was at an early stage of development. According to forecasts, by 2024, the costs of artificial intelligence technologies will increase by 2 times. Conditionally, they can be divided into subtypes.
Types of artificial intelligence
- Machine learning is a part of AI and represents wide variety of technologies. Algorithms allow the system to learn and improve. Machine learning is applicable in any tasks that require the prediction of results based on data analysis.
- Natural language processing is already well implemented today in the example of voice assistants such as Siri. Programs are designed to recognize and understand speech, in other words, they translate human language into a form that is understandable to the algorithm. Manufacturers have gone further and are creating applications that are capable of recognizing the context of what is being said – the mood of the speaker to achieve maximum accuracy of understanding.
- Computer vision is particularly prominently presented in self-driving cars. In real time, applications recognize and, most importantly, understand the image or video. This is more than the usual object recognition, because then the system receives information for the further operation of the device or program. A special place is occupied by prediction in computer vision, thanks to which applications can predetermine the behavior of devices depending on the situation.
- Robotics is perhaps the only direction that has been used for many years. This is especially noticeable in the example of manufacturing enterprises. Artificial intelligence has become an important addition to robotics and is implemented using Internet of Things or IoT sensors. AI allows you to significantly expand the scope of applications, tasks and amount of work in production.
It is noteworthy that as artificial intelligence develops, its perception by a person changes. The potential of AI is revealed better, and its implementation sometimes finds the most incredible solutions and brings enormous benefits to humanity. Therefore, it is already possible to identify the advantages of artificial intelligence.
Advantages of AI
- Corporate sustainability. Naturally, the collection and understanding of business information is always highly valued by companies in a particularly large segment. As the business continues to spread, the volume of data grows, therefore, it becomes more and more difficult to process and analyze it. AI-based solutions help not only to manage the amounts of data, but also to provide valuable information. Moreover, artificial intelligence is designed to automate processes with the aim of using them effectively, predicting and adapting.
- Improving quality of service. Through the introduction of AI, companies are personalizing offers and improving interaction with their customers. In other words, technologies collect data at the stage of a potential client before the actual conversion. Then it remains only to use the information received to improve the efficiency of interaction with the client.
- Employee engagement. According to statistics, highly engaged staff is 21% more profitable. AI is able to increase this indicator by reducing the routine tasks in the work of employees. HR technologies can even detect anxiety, fatigue, or boredom. Reducing routine work allows employees to focus on useful tasks and create a balance between work and home.
Obviously, AI offers companies a competitive advantage and is becoming more accessible to businesses of any scale. Already today, artificial intelligence has found application in almost all areas. Over time, the number of such solutions will only grow, displacing outdated business development methods.